Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Hamster Wheel

What is it about human nature that makes us ok with the status quo? I have been trying desperately to better myself without making any real effort. I mean, I am "looking" for full time positions, "studying" for the GRE's, and "training" for a marathon but not really spending a sincere amount of time on any of these. In fact, all I really seem to be doing is talking about it. The bottom line is that I am happy with the way things are: part time at the shoe store, part time at the ad agency, and full time mooch. I started watching How I Met Your Mother because of the way they portrayed unemployment; Marshall stopped wearing pants and played video games all day while Robyn made beer floats. When asked how her job search was going, she would remark tartly with, "Didn't you hear? I'm the lead anchor on CNN." Unfortunately, both these characters went on to gainful employment and the show stopped being relatable (that's not true -I still think it's legend-wait for it-dary). I just don't see why I can't have the motivation like the cavemen did when it came to the invention of fire. You think someone said, "Hey, Grog, stop playing with those sparks from the sticks and rocks. Our pelts are just fine." No chance. We need the fire like we need the wheel but do we need the full time employment? Maybe one day but today, I am happy running my mile and wearing my new Shuze shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment