Friday, February 6, 2009

Keeping It Green But Not Real

One of the coolest things about working for a style mag is that I learn of all the new salons first. The other day I did an article on a salon (Lux "The Eco Friendly" Salon opened the day of the interview) that is nearly 100% organic. The hair dyes and waxes are organic, the towels are organic, the floors are bamboo, the paint on the walls is lead free, and the pens near the register are recycled. The owner did pretty much everything she could to make sure it was one hell of a green salon and I did everything I could to get an appointment asap. I like the idea for one (I did move from an über liberal area where people live in trees) but I am also searching for a local beauty shop where I feel comfortable hanging my hat. And coat. And scarves. And gloves. Did I mention it's snowing here and cold? Anyway, I had my appointment last night and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. The prices were so reasonable that it was only eighty bucks for highlights and a cut but more importantly, the girls in the salon were awesome. I laughed the entire three hours I was there. That's right, three hours. It takes me a long ass time to become mildly attractive. I really loved the highlighting process without the bleach since there wasn't a smell that made my eyes swell up and turn red. It was definitely different especially with the consistency of the non-bleach highlight goo - the goo was more like yogurt than the regular stuff. After the appointment, I stared vainly into the mirror for hours. Given this, I am sure I have discovered my new beauty abode. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment