Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Shape Of Things

I am bothered by the response I've had to my facebook status update stating that I am embarrassed by my abnormally round head. I thought this remark would go unnoticed but it has garnered a response comparable to my status on being naked and ordering pizza. This response is not helping with my neurosis. I became aware that my head is extremely round when I started working for Historic Bethlehem and had to wear the bonnet (or haube as it's called by the Moravians). With all the hair pulled off my face, I was nothing but cheeks and skull. Recently, my bangs have been a little too long so I’ve been pinning them to the side. Again, nothing but cheeks and skull. Yesterday, I had an interview with the archivist in Bethlehem for an article I am working on. After leaving the interview, I looked in the mirror and again saw nothing but cheeks and skull sprinkled with pimples. At this time, I was a little embarrassed at what the archivist had to look at and hence my status update. Response has been along the lines of “you take after your mother” and “at least it’s not a square head.” Wait… Does this mean everyone agrees with me? And that my abnormally round head runs in the family? Do people think we are some sort of lollipop guild? That we should have been the sequel to the SNL sketch comedy Coneheads? The Roundheads? If you excuse me, my abnormally round head and I have to go cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment